Statement of Faith
The following is the foundation of beliefs on which Severn Run Classical Christian Homeschool Academy is based. These beliefs will be unapologetically taught in various ways through all grade levels, and will be considered primary doctrines at SRCCHA. Secondary or divisive doctrines and issues will not be presented as primary doctrine, and when these types of doctrines or issues arise, they will be referred back to the family for final authority.
- We believe the Bible to be the only inerrant, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary.
- We believe that salvation is by grace through faith alone.
- We believe that faith without works is dead.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost. They that are saved to the resurrection of life and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
I. We are Christ-Centered
Our goal is to maintain a focus of Christ-centeredness in all levels, programs,and teaching.
We seek to:
A. Teach all subjects as part of an integrated whole, with the Scriptures at the center (II Timothy 3:16)
B. Provide a clear model of the biblical Christian life through our tutors, staff and board members (Matthew 22:37-40)
C. Encourage every student to begin and develop his relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20, Matthew 19:13-15)
II. We are Classical
Our focus is to teach from a classical philosophy in all levels, programs, and teaching.
We seek to:
A. Emphasize the grammar, logic, and rhetoric of all subjects:
– Grammar: The fundamental rules of each subject.
– Logic: The ordered relationship of particulars in each subject.
– Rhetoric: How the grammar and logic of each subject may be clearly expressed.
B. Teach each student how to learn.
C. Encourage every student to develop a love for learning and
live up to his academic potential.
D. Provide an atmosphere conducive to the attainment of
the above goals.
E. Educate, encourage, and promote the classical philosophy of
education within each family’s homeschool program.
Severn Run Classical Christian Homeschool Academy (SRCCHA) had its beginning in the minds and hearts of four local homeschooling moms. These moms had a common desire to share the burden of teaching all academic subjects to their kids. Towards that goal, on April 27, 1998, they met and prayed, and discussed ways they could help one another. They shared their desires and concerns for their own homeschooling situations, and brainstormed ways to improve the way they did (or did not) do things. A week later, one of the moms had a conversation with an old friend, who was sending her children to a two-day-a-week Classical tutorial in Deale, Maryland. This friend was also the Administrator of the tutorial. It was clear that God was arranging and moving to create something new to support and minister to local homeschool families.
The four moms saw the value of the Classical method of education, and decided it was to be their new course of homeschooling. They educated themselves in the Classical philosophy, and met with others from existing Classical academies such as the one in Deale, and Jungo Academy in Bowie. Information was sought and received from Rockbridge Academy in Millersville, and from the Association of Classical Christian Schools (ACCS) in Moscow, Idaho. Others then caught the vision, including the four dads, then the Pastor of Severn Run Evangelical Presbyterian Church (SREPC), and, finally, the elders and families of SREPC. With all of these pieces in place, the moms were still afraid to proceed… until one person finally just said, “Let’s go for it!” A vision and mission statement was written, and a survey was sent out to gauge the interest in this type of ministry to homeschooling families. The response was amazing, and those first families gave money to an idea, and to people, with whom they had no previous connection. So began the Severn Run Classical Christian Homeschool Academy (SRCCHA) in September, 1999.
The four founding families have since grown up and moved on to other fields of endeavor, and SRCCHA was passed on to a second, third, and now (in 2017), to a fourth generation of homeschooling families. SRCCHA remains a vital ministry of Severn Run Evangelical Presbyterian Church (SREPC), where classes are held twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. SRCCHA is truly a team effort! Parents serve on various Committees, and as POTDs (Parents of the Day). Tutors teach using the Classical method, and two Administrators (Family and Academic) oversee daily operations. Several husband/wife teams manage the overall Academy as a Board, and the Board reports to the SREPC “Session”, (Deacons and Elders) which manages SREPC’s operations. SRCCHA offers classes from Kindergarten through the second year Dialectic (8th grade). Enrollment has remained steady for the last few years at approximately 75 students.